Public DNS servers. -- I like UUNet's servers (I also do caching/forwarding internally)
Bryan J. Smith
2004-04-29 10:10:15 UTC
Hi Guys.
My Mickey Mouse ISP is having no end of problems with DNS, and as such it
is causing me trouble too. For example, when browsing the web I get
frequent DNS errors. This can also be a real PITA when downloading a set
of Debian iso images with jigdo...
Can anyone recommend some good public DNS servers that I can use instead?
Yeah, it seems BrightHouse Networks doesn't like the fact that I'm using
Earthlink's cable option, so _neither_ RoadRunner _nor_ Earthlink's DNS
servers are reliable for me either.

So I use UUNet's 2 main caching servers: 198.6.1.2, 198.6.1.3

I've used these same DNS servers for 6 or so years, ultra-fast and
ultra-reliable.
Hi Ozz,
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but I just make my own box
the DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf. Every Linux box comes equipped with
a caching DNS server, so I've found no need to use anyone else's, at
least for client purposes.
[ Despite the opportunity I'm now giving him to call for my banning, I
will "correct" Mr. Litt this one time ;-]

Steve, your approach is good. I do almost the exact same:
1. DNS Cache on all workstations (including Windows c/o BIND)
2. DNS Cache, Local (for my private LAN) _and_ forwarding (to UUNet)
on my local server

But what Ozz is talking about is the _public_ DNS servers to retrieve
other DNS names from. You still have to name an _external_ source.

Ozz can either use Root Hints to directly access the Root Internet
DNS servers (is this even allowed anymore?), or another DNS server
on the Internet.

I choose the latter, c/o UUNet. 198.6.1.2 and 198.6.1.3 are UUNet's
main caching DNS servers they and recommend to their clients (feed by
198.6.1.81+ which are their main, primary/secondary servers -- don't
use those directly, don't think you can anyway).

I do this c/o #2. Even though I do DNS caching on each system, I
still have them refer to an _internal_ DNS server, namely my main
file/app server (and a secondary if I had one). That caches
_all_ internal forward/reverse resolution (as you should _never_
pass that outside). And if it is an external name, my internal
server then handles any "forwarding" of anything to an external,
caching it for _all_ internal clients as well (reducing the
number of external lookups in general).

This is far more ideal from a performance and security standpoint
(especially if the internal then "forwards" to an isolated/protected
server, like maybe a DNS server in a DMZ, so the internal is never
"directly accessing" the Internet). Using advanced BIND 9
capabilities (keys, signing), you can also cut down on the chance
or even eliminate of DNS poisoning (at least internally).
ORSC
Open Source DNS
http://www.orsc.net/
one of them, quasar.
Hmmm, didn't know about them. Thanx!
--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith-***@public.gmane.org