BeagleSNES project
Andrew Henderson
2013-03-25 21:49:40 UTC
Hello everyone. I don't write on the list very much these days, since I
have not been living in the JAX area for the past two years. I have had
the opportunity to visit with many of you on the few occasions when I had
the privilege of speaking to the LUG about topics such as embedded Linux
and device driver development. In that vein, I would like to take the
opportunity to show you some of my more recent Linux work.

I left JAX when I moved to Syracuse, NY to begin my PhD degree in
electrical and computer engineering at Syracuse University. I have a
course this term that requires a course project using the ARM-based
BeagleBoard-xM hardware platform. Overall, I've been pretty happy with the
power and performance of the BeagleBoard platforms, and I recommend them
to anyone interested in getting started with embedded computing.

Anyway, after about 80 hours of building and patching Linux kernels,
coding, and other assorted tinkering, I have this to show for my efforts:

This is BeagleSNES, a Super Nintendo emulation platform for the
BeagleBoard-xM. I've been cleaning up source code for an OSS release, and
I'm in the process of getting a web page set up (beaglesnes.org) for
downloads and documentation. In short, it is a nice GUI front-end for
selecting games, an emulator for playing the games, and a custom embedded
OS environment (bootloader, kernel, filesystem). It is an appliance: you
turn it on and it boots up straight to the game selection menu. It is
still quite rough around the edges, but not a bad start.

Preparing an embedded project for release can become quite tricky, since
there is a bit more to it than simply releasing source code with a
configure script. There are multiple components to consider (apps,
kernel, bootloader, file system image). I've released and managed several
OSS projects in the past, but releasing an embedded platform project is
quite a bit more complex and it has taken some time thus far to get
everything prepared and packaged up.

Andrew

Jess Hires
2013-03-26 18:24:42 UTC